Prepare early care and education providers to successfully implement evidence-based Otoacoustic Emissions (OAE) hearing screening and follow-up practices. This practical, hands-on self-guided learning process includes content divided across 4 learning sessions and is intended for individuals serving in programs that are committed to providing OAE hearing screening to young children. After completing the 4 learning sessions participants will be able to:
- Plan and implement an OAE hearing screening program
- Explain how OAE screening works
- Conduct OAE screenings on young children
- Outline the necessary follow-up steps when a child does not pass the OAE screening
- Access resources for tracking children through the completion of the OAE screening and follow-up protocol
- Access additional tools and resources that support successful OAE hearing screening program development and quality improvement
It is strongly recommended that participants in the self-guided learning process screen as many children as possible after completing the last learning session. Implementing program-wide screening following the learning process is optimal so that the skills acquired during the sessions can be applied and reinforced immediately.
About Self-Guided Learning
The Self-Guided Learning approach will walk you through 4 Learning Sessions that will cover Video Tutorial Modules 1 - 11 and the accompanying Implementation Tools. Within each Learning Session there are 3 types of activities:
- View the Video Tutorial Modules
- Complete a hands-on practice exercise
- Complete a brief, online practice exercise report to receive a Certificate of Completion. After submitting each report, you will be given an opportunity to print a Certificate as documentation of your reported activities. (A copy will also be emailed to you.)
Before you start
✓ Make sure you have fully operational OAE equipment available for use during your learning process.
✓ If at all possible, identify a local pediatric audiologist or other individual with experience conducting OAE screening with young children who can assist you through your learning process.