May is Better Speech and Hearing Month!
What are you doing to raise awareness about communication concerns in children? Below are links to two different resources to help encourage ways to think about steps you can take to help families and professionals.
Families who are concerned about their child’s hearing often don’t know where to turn for help. Doctors and family resource organizations can help by linking families to these Just in Time resources [PDF]. There is a Spanish version [PDF] as well.
ASHA-certified audiologist Dr. Patti Martin talks about what to expect from a newborn hearing screening, why it is important, and how to identify the signs of hearing loss within the first year of a child’s life. (This podcast was posted with the permission of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.)
(((NCHAM serves as the National Resource Center for the implementation and improvement of comprehensive and effective Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) systems. As a multidisciplinary Center, our goal is to ensure that all infants and toddlers with hearing loss are identified as early as possible and provided with timely and appropriate audiological, educational, and medical intervention.
Events and News
NCHAM is thrilled to announce that our proposal to the Funding Opportunity Announcement HRSA-15-085, National Technical Resource Center (NTRC) for Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention has been funded for the period of April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2020. We are excited about continuing to work on efforts and activities to improve newborn hearing screening, diagnosis, and intervention programs. A copy of the abstract NCHAM submitted is found here [PDF]
Upcoming NCHAM Events
- NCHAM Webinar: "Outsourcing" Newborn Hearing Screening: Questions and Considerations May 14, 2015
- ECHO Webinar: Updating Hearing Screening Practices for Children 0-3. Region VII Head Start Association Annual Leadership Conference June 2, 2015
EHDI News / RSS
- Deaf girl’s performance in speech contest was impressive, but not as impressive as she is May 4, 2015
- May is Better Hearing and Speech Month! May 1, 2015
- May Webinar Scheduled on “Outsourcing” Newborn Hearing Screening: Questions and Considerations April 30, 2015
- More News...
- Move the Needle
- Newborn Hearing Screening Training
- Addressing Privacy Regulations
- Position Statements
- EHDI/UNHS FAQ
- Slideshow Presentations
- Educational and Training Videos
- NCHAM Materials
- EHDI Implementation in Latin America
- EHDI E-Book
- EHDI Web Resource Guide
- Deaf/ Hard of Hearing Adult Involvement